I've been thinking a lot about using laser printing on MDF recently, I have lots of designs oiginally planned for the 3D printing but I have never been able to realize them because the production cost will be insane.
With laser printing on some cheap material (like MDF) I could make a
more cost-effective product but of course the level of details needs to
be scaled down and I will be able to put the details just on one side of each face.
I've always wanted to make an urban game board and now Deadzone is
giving me a great excuse to take back from the closet some old designs,
the following pictures are some previews on what I'm working on, the
- make them compatible with Deadzone (so every building is a multiple of 3")
- give them a visual style compatible with Deadzone terrain (it looks
awesome!), it woul be cool to mix my stuff with official deadzone
- make everything very cost effective, I want huge builings so each floor shouldn't cost more than 10 Euro
- make everything modular, I want to be able to configure the buildings as I like in a different way for each game. No fixed design but lots of alternatives
- each floor shold be big enough to look realistic and could be used with an array of different game systems (like infinity or warmachine for example)
these are a couple of rendering of my project, I just sent the designs to a third party laser cutting company and I'm waiting for the prototype.
p.s. the green thing you see below is a 30 mm tall cylinder used as reference for a 28mm miniature